Most of us like the idea of saving energy from an environmental aspect, but let’s face it, the real drive to save energy is because we want to save money too! It can be difficult in the winter to save money without sacrificing your comfort, but it is possible! Here are a few ways you can save energy and money this winter, while staying nice and cozy.
- Eliminate leaks and drafts. If your door is letting cold air in, you can feel a draft from your window. And if your ductwork isn’t sealed, you are simply wasting energy. Spending a little money to seal your doors, windows, and ducts, if needed, can make a big difference on your comfort and your energy bill! If major repairs aren’t in the budget, even getting insulating window treatments can help.
- Keep your furnace maintained. Schedule furnace service in Lee’s Summit MO with Apex to ensure your furnace is working as efficiently as possible. If your furnace isn’t functioning properly, it will have to work harder which means more energy and more money!
- Use LED lights. Cut back on the energy use in other areas of your home to offset the amount of energy you use to heat it. One good option is LED lights for decoration. Americans could save about $45 million per year if they swapped their old holiday lights for Energy-star rated LED lights!
- Use the sun to your advantage. You may have spent the last several months trying to shield your home from the sun. In the winter, it’s time to make the most of it and let it heat up your space! Open blinds that get direct sun in the morning or afternoon.
- Don’t heat an empty home. Program your thermostat to go on or off depending on when you’re home. In addition, consider adding blankets or even getting a heated blanket at night and turning down your heat. You probably won’t even notice when you are fast asleep!